Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Moonwatching

Last night, some moonlight peeked through my closed blinds right before I was going to sleep.

So I opened my blinds. It was unbelievable.

The moon was full--a tiny marble suspended in the sky.
Completely full. And it was hanging out in the space between the edges of my narrowish window, above the dark silhouette of my neighbor's house.

It rose, slowly and patiently, in a perfect curve and I measured its progress by how far it progressed up each sliver of a blind from a certain perspective.

It was so beautiful: such an ageless classic!
So I free-wrote (that's where you don't stop, ever) with/about/for the moon for an hour in the night...

...by moonlight.
It casted deep shadows on my notebook.
And I had to periodically shift my location
to escape from the darkness.

But honestly, it was incredible.
God revealed many things to me that night...
At one point, I felt Him right behind me.



Revelation 2:17-
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give him a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to him who receives it.



Last night, God gave me a white stone with my true name inscribed upon it in gray craters and white ridges--the moon.

We live for these moments. Moments of solitude and introspection, accompanied only by the best things whose comfort is so often ignored. Like the moon. Like God.
I sincerely hope you try this sometime; it will be well worth it.



Dear Lord,

Thank you for the moon.

Amen

2 comments:

Keeley Shrode said...

I loved this.
Brilliant job Drew.
:)

Andreina said...

yes drew.

those are the moments we live for.

well done my friend.